- What social issue will your video conference address?
I will be choosing homelessness in New York.
- What subject(s) and grade level(s) would be appropriate for students to be involved?
The subjects appropriate for this would be ELA and Social Studies. I would teach this to my 6th graders.
- Who would be your ideal guest speaker?
I would choose a council person or someone from a homeless shelter. Working with these people will allow my students to make connections with people that have worked with the homeless population in NYC.
- Would you seek to involve other schools from your community, across the country, or from particular countries or regions around the world to foster the ideal conversation?
I would like to work with different schools from New York. New York city would be very beneficial because of the prevalence of homelessness.
- What type of activity would students complete before the video conference session that they could share during the conference?
Students would have to do their on research on homelessness and answer a question guide. My students are students with disabilities and would need a question guide for a modification.
- Would there be a follow-up action that students would take to deepen their learning?
It would be nice for students to maybe visit a homeless shelter or food bank and do volunteering.
- How would you assess their participation?
I would have my students create a campaign to stop homelessness. Students can create websites, posters, or are pieces.